I can't remember how the x-rays were described. Osteosarcoma has a classic appearance, something like a sunflower, or snowflake. It is "aggressive," they say. It eats away at the bone. Stepping off a curb can cause a fracture. Amputation must come quickly. Even then, 98 percent of dogs have cancer elsewhere in their bodies, on a microscopic level if not full-blown metastasis. Metastasis -- I see it like a sunflower, or a snowflake, some kind of awful bloom.
Today Rowley checked into the hospital. He rarely barks, hardly ever, but he barked incessantly in the waiting room. Not a nervous bark at all, a buoyant bark. He was ready. He was excited about the acoustics. He wanted to make sure everyone heard his unique and booming voice.
Rowley fancies himself a beachcomber. He was born on Barbados. As I stayed up at night with him and listened to him whimper and tried to ease his pain, I told him about the first time we went to the ocean. There, he was contemplative. He sat back on his haunches and stared at the waves. He didn't run around, didn't yap, just got the biggest Buddha smile on his face and took it all in. "The ocean smelled like a big barrel of fish," I told him. "The biggest barrel of fish you have ever seen." He looked in my eyes. He needed a marlin of a fish tale. He loves tales of fish, his very favorite food. "We'll go there soon," I told him then (and it's true). "And you'll never run out of fish."

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home